Monday, December 1, 2008

Welcome to Bojay's Baseball Blog

Hi, my name is Alec and I like baseball.

If one ever had to pick one phrase to introduce one's-self (Although I can't imagine any scenario in which that would be the case), I would have to say I would choose the one directly above. Of course, there is a little more to me than that, but for the intents and purposes of this blog I think that will do.

I am not a professional journalist. I haven't played baseball competitively since the eighth grade. And I don't have any type of inside information when it comes to Major League Baseball.

But I like baseball...a lot.

I love baseball, as a matter of fact. I love watching it, I love thinking about it, I love playing it and I love dreaming about it. There are so many cliches that can be and have been written about America's past time. And they are all true. The smell of the freshly mowed grass is intoxicating; the image of a father and son playing catch, powerful; and the knowledge of an impending play at the plate, exhilarating. But I believe the love between this sport and man is a sacred pact and a secret one. Every person who shares in loving and respecting this hallowed game does it for their own reasons. And this unique relationship is only part of the appeal.

I spent my High School days jotting down MLB line-ups in my notebook. If you were to raid my room and find my U.S History book it would look a little something like this: Panama Canal....Blue Jays.....World War One......Dodgers.......Bay of Pigs......White Sox. The disparate yet unified relationship of a baseball line-up fascinates me. And memorizing where the human pieces fit on each team is a way of organizing my thoughts. 

Baseball is just one way to keep my sanity. Writing is my other.

I am now currently a Freshman in college, majoring in Magazine Journalism. My only goal is simple: to maintain a living through writing. And since baseball is such an integral part of my life, wouldn't it be nice to be able to write about it for a paycheck?

So with that in mind, I have created this Blog. Just think of it as the Minor Leagues. I believe that I have some natural talent as a writer and I fully intend to work hard at honing I craft, but I am also cognizant of the fact that right now: I suck. Bojay's Baseball Blog (I couldn't resist the alliteration) is my Class A effort. Every Saturday you can expect a new entry in which I offer my analysis on the previous week's events, argue for a certain aspect that needs to be improved in the game or predict the outcome of the season. All I ask of you, dear reader, is to read if you want, don't read if you don't want and tell me if I am ready for High A, or should probably give Cape Cod a try.

With that in mind, check this out on Saturday when I will be analyzing the few moves already made in this slow-starting off season. 

Hopefully, the Indians will have signed Manny, CC, Teixeirra and Bob Feller by then.

No comments: